The course is a figure of 8 beginning and finishing on Bayfield Park, running around the Bayfield inlet, back across Bayfield Park and then around the block that encompasses Bayfield High School. Runners will complete two laps of this track. The total distance is 5.4km.
The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths, gravel paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the Race 88 at 8 uses shared paths and parks. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other path and park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
The Race 88 at 8 is designed to be a flat coursed, fun running event organised by volunteers from Bayfield High School and its community for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Please always follow marshals instructions.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please take care near roads, car parks and driveways as these will not be closed during the event.
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass, gravel or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5.4km with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website https://runnersmedicalresource.com/en/ (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe Race 88 at 8 events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Please note that while buggies and prams will be allowed on the course, dogs will not be permitted.
There is limited parking in the Bayfield Park carpark on Shore Street which is free. Limited free parking will also be available within the grounds of Bayfield High School.
The toilets and changing rooms, including showers, on Bayfield Park will be open for the duration of the event and will be closed again around 10:30am on the day of the race.