WHY CHOOSE BAYFIELD HIGH SCHOOL?
1 - Our Reputation
Bayfield High School was established in 1961 and has earned a reputation for academic excellence. We provide a friendly, supportive environment where students are encouraged to reach their full potential. We have special strengths in Outdoor Education, Music, Art and IT. We are one of the top schools in Otago with our students gaining grades well above the average in National Examinations.
2 - Academic Programme
The school offers a wide ranging academic programme. We place emphasis on preparing students well for tertiary study. Subjects include: English, Mathematics with Calculus, Mathematics with Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Classical Studies, Economics, Accounting, Workshop Technology, Graphics and Design, Computing, Physical Education, Art History, Music, Art Printmaking, Practical Art, Art Photography, Alternative English, German, French, Home Economics, ESOL.
3 - Location and Facilities
We are located on one of Dunedin's most picturesque sites on the Otago Peninsula. We have extensive grounds, a well-equipped, new gymnasium, an excellent library and well-resourced computing facilities. We have five science laboratories, music suite, art rooms, senior common rooms. a careers room and a common room for International students. All students are issued with personal email addresses and have access to the Internet for communication home.
4 - Wide Variety of Sporting and Cultural Opportunities
An extensive range of academic, cultural and sporting programmes are offered. These include sports such as rugby, soccer, netball, softball, tennis, basketball, fencing, orienteering, canoeing, sailing, swimming, skiing, canoe polo, underwater hockey, athletics, cross country, cricket, hockey, golf, badminton, triathlon, volleyball. We also have a wide ranging outdoor recreation programme including tramping, abseiling, canoeing, etc. Our Music Department produces an annual show and provides individual musical tuition, choir, orchestra, and a jazz band.
5 - Specialist Outdoor Education Programme for Year 12 and 13
The school provides a timetabled Outdoor Education subject for Year 12 and 13 students. Some places are available for Year 11 international students. The course is part of the school curriculum and is assessed.
- Term 1 - Kayaking and Sailing
- Term 2 - Outdoor First Aid, Mountain Biking and Rock Climbing
- Term 3 - Skiing and Snow Boarding
- Term 4 - Tramping and School Camp
6 - School Organised International Student Trips
- 3 day visit to Lake Te Anau, Milford Sound and Fiordland. Activities include a boat ride on Lake Te Anau, a visit to the Glow-worm Caves, Milford Sound Boat Cruise and visits to various sites of interest in Fiordland.
- 3 day visit to Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo. Activities include a visit to the Tekapo Hot Pools, Ice Skating and a Astronomy tour to the Mount John Observatory in the World Heritage night sky park. we also visit Mount Cook, new Zealand's highest mountain as well as glaciers and a beautiful walk up the Hooker Valley - described as "one of the World's best half day walks".
- There is a 4 day trip to the World famous resort of Queenstown catering for a wide variety of skiers and snowboarders - from beginner to advanced. Ski lessons are included in the trip cost. We also visit other popular Queenstown activities included Jet Boating, Bungy Jumping and Luge.
- All optional trip costs are in addition to the school fees and are paid for separately.
7 - Special Relationship with Overseas Students and Schools
We have a tradition of students coming from a wide variety of countries. These countries include: Malaysia, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, France, Brazil, Germany, Italy, Vietnam, USA, Switzerland, China and Thailand. Students are welcomed from any country. We contact parents and agents to arrange a mutually agreeable contract on what each student is expected to achieve while at school. Students are met at Dunedin Airport and we transport them to their accommodation. We will also help with visa preparation.
8 - Student Welfare
We are recognised for providing outstanding quality care for our International Students. The latest report from the NZ Government Education Review Office stated; "Students receive high quality care and students value the care and attention school personal provide in responding to their needs. The students are met at Dunedin Airport and placed in quality home-stays". We also offer help in arranging student finances, visas and medical insurance and support for students wanting to go on to tertiary institutions. We provide regular updates on each student's progress to parents.